Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Shopping at Harrods or at least walking to Harrods


Our short walk this morning turned out to be about 3 1/2 hours.  By the end of the walk, I am thinking about "home" and taking my shoes off.  And starting to lag behind the Professor.


This unusual statue stands above.a La Costa store.
We think it was on Kensington High Street




Physical Energy statue in Kensington Gardens





Pictures from Tuesday May 16, 2017


Definitely, the most beautiful day we have had since we arrived in London.  A sweater that came off quickly and NO raincoat.  We are guessing that these are cavalry from the Household Guard exercising their horses.  Plain uniforms and helmets to protect their heads. They were riding 
around a fenced paddock.




Another mystery statue




Classic British Pub Food
27 pounds for fish and chips




We could use a few of these signs posted anywhere in the US


The Disney area of the toy department at Harrods


And just a giant panda or two


The seafood counter at the food hall/court in Harrods, London's best-known 
department store.  In several of the pictures you can see employees with straw hats working in this
part of the store.  In the rest of the store, it is pretty clear that the daily wear of employees is black.  In sportswear, the men were all in black T-shirts and slacks.  Lots of women 
wearing black dresses. 


Behind me in the case are mounds of figs of all sorts of varieties.


Artichokes from France
For a bunch (on the left) the price is 6.95 pounds for each.
The globes on their right are 1 pound for 100 grams.


Related image 
The Wensleydale Cheese that we saw at Harrods had a very impressive burgundy label
saying Harrods on it.  This one from the internet is exactly what I was thinking when I 
saw the cheese. 


Image result for harrods department store london



Free German lessons


Deutsche Evangelische Christuskirche, Knightsbridge, London.jpg



The purple centers of these white flowers were so vibrant against the iron fence 
of a house in Knightsbridge



I can't remember where I put the keys.


A very thin house in a neighborhood of "shotgun" houses.



Image result for london statue of the prodigal son knightsbridge


Queen Victoria statue in the background.  Lots of people sitting on the grass enjoying 
the warm weather. 





Yesterday was warm and muggy.  Even before it started to rain my hair was wet and curly and impossible.  The pictures were better of me than I expected
The market was a disappointment.  It was on the must do list in a guide book.  We have been to a lot of markets in our travels.  Including the one we went to in Edmonton. This market had a lot of fresh looking produce and a few stalls with cheeses and meats and chocolate.  There were lots of different foods to buy and eat but none of the vendors had anywhere to sit. Usually the seating has been sparse at the big indoor markets we've been to, but had at least half a dozen stools at a counter.  We had walked 5 miles in muggy or rainy weather.  I was tired and sore.  The only food that enticed me was fresh English strawberries. 
Maybe I was just too tired.  After walking around the market for awhile I was ready to take the tube back to our place. 
I am having problems with bursitis in my hips.  The right hip hurts even when I am sitting or lying down, my knees hurt and I don't think my calves have quit hurting since we started walking two weeks ago.  It is so crazy.  I am such a whiner.  I could use a day with no walking. Grump grump grump.




No comments:

Post a Comment