Sunday, May 24, 2015

Exploring Hyde Park


 My foot has been bothering me a lot and this morning when the Professor lay out today's walk, my spirits sank.  In the end, I stayed at the flat and he went exploring on his own.  He has some wonderful pictures and of course selfishly I want him to take me to all of the places that 
I missed today.



Doner Kebab


This is just a sign on a door that we saw as we were walking in our 
neighborhood.

.

I was enchanted by the gate into the garden before I saw the house.
The house was a day dream house as well.



Displaying a london gate w slot for post and milk.jpg

Displaying a london gate w slot for milk.jpg



















 My foot has been bothering me a lot and this morning when the Professor lay out today's walking plan, my spirits sank.  In the end, I stayed at the flat and he went exploring on his own.  He has some wonderful pictures and of course selfishly I want him to take me to all of the places that 
I missed today.






























Thank goodness for the internet. Otherwise I would know next to nothing
about what we see in London.  The arch shown above is the Marble Arch.
It was designed by John Nash in 1827 to be the state entrance to Buckingham Palace
it stood near the the well known balcony where kings and queens have appeared for generations
"In 1851 it was relocated and following the widening of Park Lane in the early 1960s 
is now sited, isolated and incongruously, on a large traffic island at the junction of  
Oxford Street, Park Lane, and Edgware Road. " Although it looks a bit cumbersome to be moving
around London so much, it has had a busy history.  I assume everyone likes it
where it is currently located.


This refers to Arthur Wellesley who led the British to eventual victory over
Napoleon.  You will probably immediately recognize that  this is not the
Duke himself but is Achilles dressed or undressed for battle.
Achilles was created by the sculptor Richard Westmacott.
It was produced from melted-down captured enemy cannon. 





At first glance I thought that this was a tribute to Joan of Arc.  However, as 
you can see, I was completely wrong.  It is a monument to honor
the men of the Cavalry of the Empire. specifically
those who fought in WW I and WW II

















Peter Pan


No comments:

Post a Comment